Skip to main content

"WHERE I AM FROM "






I am  from a wooden bed,
From cornmeal porridge and a bar of soap for washing clothes.


I am from the noisy and yet calm atmosphere,
( blue, extremely cold and its people use charcoal to warm “them” bodies).


I am from big mango trees, cocoa trees, 
and sweet-smelling flowers which disturb the noise each time I pass-by.


I am from the land of dreamers and believers,
From Ponziano, Nicolaus, Salome, Judith, 
and the noisy boy Innocent.


I am from the “ work hard child! “ and “ Keep God first”,
From “ Elimu ni mkombozi “
 and “don’t fight again, or I will tell your dad!”.


I am from Kambasegera, Rungwe, where “mbalaga” 
and milk make every child happy!
From a very smart grandpa who was a “ self-made” lawyer 
and no case would proceed in his absence,
From two brothers born on the same day, date, and month but different years!


I am from the “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” 
and merry Christmas,
From “bring all family pictures, I will keep them” 
a voice that whispers my memory daily.


I am from those deep family conversations, bonds,
 peals of laughter, and “optimism”-they remind me of one thing 
as I probe across the globe, “home is where our hearts dwell”. 


I am from the great tribe “Nyakyusa”,
 With our unique “Mwa…” initials,
 from the southern part of Tanzania. 

"Where I am from"-Hope Mwaibanje

Comments

  1. I see me in every word here. Where you're from iswhere I am from.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE DASH IN BETWEEN THE DATE OF BIRTH AND THE DATE OF DEATH.

I vividly remember the time I first heard the speech titled “THE DASH IN BETWEEN THE DATE OF BIRTH AND THE DATE OF DEATH”.  I was still a boy in 10th grade and I was in a youth science Boot camp ( STEM)  with other young innovators. The workshop was almost over so as you can imagine, my teammates and I were a little anxious to leave, we lost focus and concentration. My instructor, Dr Lwidiko huddled us up at the lecture hall and told us to take seats. There was a moment of silence and jumpy faces that lasted for a minute in the lecture hall.   It was unusual for the instructor to read a speech with such a literal title at the camp. He began reading to us his speech, and I was listening very closely to each sentence. The words struck deep down in my heart. I could feel what he wrote communicating with my instincts. I was changed by that speech with much enthusiasm; my attitude and philosophy would never be the same again.  "People may forget your date of birth and death, but